Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Something new again

Regularly, I would get to learn something new here...

This Ramadan is coming to an end soon, and soon they will be celebrating Eid al-Fitr (End of Ramadan). The newspaper just declared that for the public sector, they would be on holiday from 29 Sep till 4 Oct. (Pretty long holiday, isn't it?). But for the private sector, we will be having a different holiday, not sure when yet because it depends on this group of people... Moon Sighting Committee (MSC).

It kinda interesting to see that first, both public sector & private sector is on two different holiday period. Checking through the net, I noticed that in general, public sector have easily double/ or triple the numbers of holidays here. This is so....

Then another interesting fact, this end of Ramadan holiday date is not pre-determined. Instead, it depends on this MSC. I just learnt that, on the night after the prayer, they will observe for the presence of the moon, and only then they will declare if it gonna be a holiday the next day. For example, this year, it is anticipated the moon either to appear on 29th or 30th Sep night, then the following 2 days will be declared as the public holiday.

Such adhoc holiday is something I honestly not familiar with, since from where I am, all these have been pre-determined, like 1 year ago? And now, we would just wait until the 29/30 night to know what gonna happen next.

Personal opinion, such adhoc holiday makes the planning on our work more tedious. Because, imagine if you have plan something on the 30 Sep morning, but due to this declaration, so whatever your plan with suppliers or contractor will simply calls off. Not exactly an ideal scenario to be in.

Just a sidenote as some may have known, Islamic calendar now is in the year of 1429, so it sorta like in the 15th century now:)

No comments: