Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Learning Curve

Another long tired day yesterday. Started off with a long long ride from Dubai to RAK, and only to have the taxi driver that send me not exactly the wrong way, but through a long way. Cost me AED$176. After this long tired journey, the only thing I have in mind is to get out of the cab and go onboard the vessel. Only to realize 20mins later, I have left some stuff in the boots of the taxi. Immediately called up various agencies, from RTA (something equivalent to our LTA), then DTC (Dubai Taxi) booking dept, and service dept. All these transfer here and there, initially wanted to get the stuff back, if possible immediately. Only to be informed to collect it from the Police Station at some place that I don’t even know. So I guess have to rely on our PRO to bring me there tomorrow.
The docking of the vessel though I would not term it as rough ride, but the pace of the work ongoing is something of our major concern, and it is THE concern of my big boss. Cos while these boats are here, it only mean losing of revenue. It is a concern for me as well, since it reflects my KPI, which I must admit, I flunk it this year:p But looking from another angle, all these are lessons learnt, so I would not have to overstress myself even though I did not achieve all these KPIs. Of cos, it affects my performance but I guess looking from another angle, I don’t want to overstress myself and fall sick.

I am learning… “So be it” cos it never worth to get terribly sick over work, cos at the end of the day, we are still dispensable. There are lot of people ready to take over us should we fall sick and not in the condition to work. What can we expect from our office. Given the modern way of working, maybe just a thank you handshake for your service over the years, and they moves on:) The world don’t stop turning just because some shits happen to you.

A colleague from our Sg office, whom came to assist me over these docking for the past 2 weeks, was wondering how I was able to tahan to stay in this place for 3-4months. Not just the food and weather, but also how the culture, the work and support from the suppliers & service provider was function. He was saying about the frustration he face about wanting to get things done here in shortest possible time, but usually promises never fulfilled instantly. There are bound to be some form of delays. At least now, someone from Sg have experienced the kind of shit I am going through all these while, so hope the Sg could be more forgiving and understanding in future for wanting to be done fast here, give us some slack:p

No comments: